Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Alabama fans pay tribute to Coach Paterno

A simple man in complicated times...


 
     Crimson Tide fan fans have talked in hushed tones about the death of Joe Paterno. Not one negative word has been spoken. Coach Paterno has been afforded the same type feelings as when Paul Bryant passed away. Now Coach Paterno has passed away as well. I like the term passed away. It seems less final that the word death. Passing aways seems to indicate that there are other places we have to go, and in JoePa's case I suspect there are other games to coach. I bet Coach Bryant was there to greet Joe. What a grand thing that would be.


     History will be kind to Joe Paterno. You cannot measure an entire lifetime against a singular event. Men's lives are a series of events, interactions, and dreams. I don't live in Pennsylvania. It is a wonderful place. I have been there many times. This includes a couple of trips for football games. I'm sure that everyone has there own Coach Paterno story. Mine is simple. I met him one day while walking on campus at Penn State. Decked out in my Crimson Tide gear I walked up the great man and introduced myself. He responded in kind as if I had no idea who he was. He immediately made me feel important. Later that day I was overwhelmed by emotion. Today, I understand why. Joe Paterno was like a grandfather to all those who met him. He was the guy who lived further down your block. He's the guy who always had a kind word. He knew your children's names. He let you borrow his hedge clippers. But more than anything else he was the kind of man who made you feel you belong. That is rare gift for a human being to have. I believe that the loving kindness that Joe gave so freely will be his legacy.


    The man was a steller coach but he was a better person. The reason why people in the State of Alabama are so sad for his passing is that we are a lot like the People of Pennsylvania. It seems to me for the most part that  both States are full common men and women. Of course, the gift of Joe Paterno was that no one was common in his eyes. Our respective citizens share many values such as hard work, caring for others, a belief you can better yourself, and that we all need to help care for one another. Nothing fancy about people from our State and I always feel that way in Pennsylvania. Joe Patrerno seemed to be a simple man. He lived in a State where simple values were respected. As the times progressed, the life of Joe Paterno was like a torch on a dark night. Simple is always money. Less is more. Kindness is better than hate. I think your coach understood all that and lived his life in such as way to guide many of you even after his passing. He wasn't perfect but he didn't claim to be. If men are judged on the value of the life they lived; then Joe Paterno just won the national championship of life.


    Of course, many of our great great grandfathers are buried in Gettysburg. I was touched by the sacred feeling that place exudes. When visiting Gettysburg people heard my syrupy Southern accent they would stop and say hello, ask me where I was from. They'd ask what "brings" me to Pennsylvania. Everywhere you go in your great State the name of Joe Paterno was held in such high esteem. Let me offer some advice or perhaps something I learned when you lose a great man like Bryant or Paterno. You don't really lose them. They are there in everything that has to do with Penn State and Alabama football. They are present in memories and the stories you will share with one another. Over the years the fragility of their human lives gives way to something almost mythical. Men like Joe Paterno live in our hearts and in our minds forever. From the fans of the University of Alabama, the Crimson Tide, please accept our condolences. There are no words that can express your loss, make you feel better. Just know that the people of Alabama are thinking of you. Peronally, I'll miss the man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment