Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

Let's be clear on a couple of things...

     I think that my post yesterday upset some people. Let me clarify that I said Avery Johnson, when first signed,  would need five years to get the program on the rise. I still say that. I will say that our recruiting needs to pick it up a little. If Bama could sign Trendon Watford I would feel a lot better. But signing Watford alone isn't going to get a tsunami type wave. 

          Watford is the best all-around player I've seen in the State of Alabama for quite some time. Next season, the question we'll ask ourselves is who will be the post player. We have three. One of them will have to be the man or we can hope to get a grad transfer. I see Watford as a power forward,  or an overwhelming small forward. If push comes to shove he could even be a post player. He can play facing the goal or with his back to the backboard.

        This season it is clear we need a  couple of good shooters. Mack has shown some progress, Norris is a good shooter. I have no idea what has happened to John Petty. Ingram is a lot better shooter than most think.  Lewis is the best outside shooter on the roster. It seems like we could be a downtown shooting team to beat a lot of people. For some reason, we just don't seem to be able to find the chemistry to be an offensive dynamo. 

        The Tide has been mired in the mud for two decades. I think Johnson can do the job but he needs an arena, he needs the best assistants he can find. I think the assistants we have are fine coaches. We need one coach who can recruit the heck out of the deep south. We may always be an average program, but I can remember when we were a great program. I guess that after a while you get tired of "next year in Jerusalem".  Let's see how this season ends. I keep hearing we are on the right track.  I'm not sure. This year will tell us a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment