Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I hate to say I told you, but I told you so...

Cooper jumps to #40 recruit in nation...

     Okay, we all get a little satisfaction being the little guy who trumps the big guy on occasion. Rodney Cooper has soared to number 40 according to Rivals.Com. Ahem...I told you so. Let me add one thing to that - its still to low.  His career at Alabama will prove me correct.

     So Bama has 3 recruits in the top 100. That number would be higher if JuCo prospects were added in the list. 'Bama may get Trevor Lacey as well, but I'm glad to see someone put all these Tide recruits in proper perspective.  I honestly think that Lacey, Cooper, and Randolph could be 5 stars. Let's say they are 4.5 right now.

     A lot of well respected recruiting analysts say that Bama's incoming human skyscraper, Moussa Gueye, 7-1 (2 or 3) was the preseason concensus Juco Player of the Year. Here's what MidStateHoops.com has to say about him.  Moussa Gueye 7’1” C Lake Land Junior College "Gueye came to America as a Valparaiso commit but opened his recruitment after a stellar freshman season.  He’s the best prospect in the class due to his combination of athleticism, size, length, mobility, and skill.  He is a great shot blocker and rebounder and can score it from just about anywhere.  He also handles the ball pretty well for his size. He also has shown shooting touch outside the three point line."

     The top Juco player in the nation, and 3 of the top high school players makes this a steller class. In fact, I'd move us ahead of Arkansas as the #2 class in the SEC. Had Gueye been healthy this season all the talk would be about him coming in with Green, Releford, and Mitchell. What I'm trying to say is that with or without Lacey we have a stud glass. Perhaps the problem that Lacey has is thinking about having to fight Randolph and Cooper for the two guard position. Lacey has seen Randolph and Cooper up close and personal. Perhaps he's made his own personal evaluation which might tell us even more about this class.

   To all the "what happens if we don't get Lacey" cult here is what will happen. Nothing. Lacey is perhaps marginally a better player at this date, but he's 6-2. That is not short for a two guard, but he doesn't bring the lenght as Cooper and Randolph. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Lacey. He's a shooter. But Cooper and Randolph are also great shooters. Lacey might be a little better on offense, but Cooper and Randolph will more than make up for that with defense.

    I'm not saying that 'Bama reinvented the wheel with this class. What I am saying is that this class ain't too shabby...

   


    

No comments:

Post a Comment