Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

You have to wonder about Gottfried...

Knew the day would come, but...
Gottfried sets his sights on Lacy
     I guess we all knew that one day someone would hire Mark Gottfried. And, I suppose we all knew that he would recruit Alabama players. Is it just me or does it seem kind of disloyal for Gottfried to recruit Trevor Lacey?  Gottfried left Alabama either by resigning or being forced to resign (pick either). Ten years of taking money from the Capstone and about five of those were literally just taking it with no quid pro quo
          It seems to me that Gottfried is taking the remaining good will he has remaining with his University and is throwing it away.  You'd think he'd have the decency to wait a while.  He has known Lacey since the young man was an eight grader. Perhaps he will finally be able to recruit an Alabama player out of Huntsville, Alabama.


 Gottfried's future on Tobacco Road...
     At least he's not in the same league as the Heat and the Lakers. That's the good news. The bad news is that his team is on par with the Clippers about now. Not that North Carolina State is chopped liver. David Thompson and Jimmie V and all that is pretty good. Any ACC team is either good, really good, or great. State falls into the first category and they are hoping that Gottfried can take the to the next two levels. I wish him good luck because he is going to need it to succeed against North Carolina and Duke. Those other ACC teams are pretty good, even if the term overrated as a league come to my mind.


So how will 'Bama fans react to Gottfried recruiting in State... 
     I guess that was a pretty dumb question. Gottfried's already low admiration level is about to hit a new low. Not many people thought that was possible. Okay, Paul Finebaum thought it possible. I've already been hearing fans talk about just how bad recruiting Alabama in states kids will be to his reputation. I wish him good luck at State and I wish him no luck ever with any Alabama kid. 
     Mark recently said that his two years as a media talking head had made him a better coach. He mentioned Steve Lavin. Television kept Mark Gottfried from becoming irrelevant. I hope Mark does well. I'd like to see the man in the red jacket do well. I hope he's learned a lot in those two years. What he needed to learn had nothing to with basketball. Nope, not one thing to do with basketball. I listened to him accepting the NC State job. I heard a lot of coach speak. Didn't hear much about other types of lessons though. Perhaps it wasn't the venue. 
     I don't like the fact that he is turning his back on Alabama by recruiting Lacey. I know he is doing so to let the Wolkpack fan base know he's finished in Alabama. Perhaps someone should tell him that perhaps he should let a couple of seasons pass before dipping into Alabama. People are really forgiving in America. This won't help him here. He probably doesn't care or he hasn't given it any thought whatsoever. I think it is important for all of us to know he is finished in Alabama as well. Good Luck despite our differences...




Just a quick Lacey update:  Lacey will receive in home visits in the next 10 days from Kentucky, Kansas, NCState, Auburn, and perhaps UCONN (could not nail that one down)
Coach Grant and one other staff person (I do not know which one) this weekend and the visit went very well. No doubt Bama is in the picture. 


click to go back to TI
     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment