Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

National view of Rodney Cooper laughable...

Cooper has the tools to be a great one...


     I just got finished reading another report on Tide signee Rodney Cooper. Give me a moment to pick myself off the floor from laughing. I'd bet my last dollar these so called experts have never seen him play. He is much closer to a 5 star than a 3 star. There is always room for disagreement but the ranking of RC is laughable not laudable. 


    He got my vote for Mr. Basketball this season. I have no problem with Trevor Lacey winning the award, nor would you have gotten a beef from me if Levi Randolph got the nod. No school in the nation has signed a better pair of guards that Cooper or Randolph. They can play all three guard positions if need arises, and their size 6/5 - 6/6 will make them defensive terrors under Grants pressing defense. It is easy to envision those quick hands and long arms stealing and deflecting passes. 


     It is also easy to envision both guards posting up smaller players down low and shooting over the zone. One additional observation is that each can shoot coming off the screen and create their own shots off the dribble. They also can slash to the baskets, and you'll see that a lot because you can't overlook their excellent outside shooting. 


Lacey or not?...
    Don't get me wrong. I'd love to get Lacey. But he plays a position where Bama has loaded up already, and that fact gets overlooked in his recruitment. It may well be a reason why Lacey is looking elsewhere. I think we all overlook that. Lacey has gotten all the publicity because he is one of the few good recruits left out there. Let me reassure all of the readers that whether we get Lacey or not the Tide has rung the proverbial bell at the guard position. Have three guards who can shoot is one of Grant's methods of equalizing talent and enhancing his press. You will see all three on the floor (assuming Lacey comes to Bama) with Releford handing out assists like he's throw Mardi Gras beads. Regardless, the Tide can go big or small next season. They can also go in between. I want to go on record in April and say that next season is going to be special if the chemistry comes together. How special? As good as it's been in Tuscaloosa in a long, long time. Sweet Sixteen? Yep. Elite Eight, just might happen. Final Four? Not out of the picture. Stranger things have happened. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment