Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lacey Kansas bound ?

Never count out Bill Self...



Self is an extraordinarily impressive coach
    I said it before and it bears repeating - never count out Kansas and Bill Self in any recruiting battle. Reports out of Huntsville are that Lacey and his father were almost giddy over Self's visit. Bottom line was that Lacey and his father have now scheduled a visit to Kansas to visit Dorothy and Toto. Expect him to commit. 


Let's be honest about something...


    I think it is possible that Lacey might yet come to 'Bama.  But somethings just can't be overlooked - Jack Doss has never been Bama's best friend in Huntsville (and he has reason to not be). But the main thing is this - If Lacey wanted to commit to Alabama he would have already done so. That is the nagging problem which has bothered me from day one. My friend in Huntsville told me today that Lacey was going to Kansas regardless of what Patrick Lamb does. By the way he announced he was staying at Kentucky another year. 


I tend to put a lot of credibility in what my source tells me. He has been wrong before but he seldom misses anything this big. I know Bill Self. He is a very impressive man. He is not more impressive than our coach but he has a lot to offer. Bill will also tell Lacey he will be his starting guard next season, which is something that Grant just won't do. Coach Grant may talk around the subject to the extent that only the village idiot would not catch on that he is starting.  But no outright promises. Lacey could have watched the Tide play this season, which he did 12 times, and know he would have started if he could walked down to the dressing room and suited up.


Family was very impressed with Self...


When a father uses terms like "awesome, wonderful, impressive, and honest," someone just hit one out of the park. Having been to Kansas many times I will tell you that Lacey will be overwhelmed by Jay Hawk support and tradition. But the problem Kansas has is that they are located in Kansas, and that's a long way from home. Not only is an impossible one day drive the airfare is very expensive. Not cheap way to Kansas or back.
aLnow or never. Self is recruiting a couple of more than average kids at shooting guard already. It may be Lacey's father who is not sold on Alabama. That's the feeling I've had since the start of this season. 
Lamb stays at Kentucky but it may not matter...


When Lacey return from Kansas and he has yet to make a decision Tide fans had better hope he does wait until the final day of signing to commit. In my opinion Bama has always been his second choice. The theory is that he would attend Alabama unless he found something better because his heart wasn't in line with common sense.  I hope I am wrong. This has been a wishy washy deal from the start. You might waffle with Auburn or Alabama. You don't waffle with Kansas. The top three schools in this nation in terms of historical importance are UCLA, Kentucky, and Kansas. Sorry UConn fans you are good come lately.


I have no doubt that Lacey would fit well with Bama. And I have no doubt that Anthony Grant is is a better coach than Bill Self. When I was growing up my father, Big Bill, drew me aside in that odd way of his and said, "let me give you some advice" - never marry the first woman you sleep with. Lacey may be ready to do that in a week. No shotgun will be needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment