Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Spring is here and golf awaits us all

Just a change of pace...

     As soon as the late signing period is over I start some serious thinking about golf. The Master's kicks it off for most Southern boys. Last Thrusday I had a chance to play at Farmlinks which is almost in the middle of nowhere. It is very a very attractive course, and with four sets of tees you can find the ones that suit your handicap best. The course was perfect. We played it down and the greens were perfect. I have to say that having 18 different types of grass was a little odd, but what ever the kind they rolled true.

The fairways are as wide open as the Texas plains. Miss a fairway at Farmlinks and you have hit something nowhere in your game plan. The traps were well maintained, and the practice area is outstanding. The cost is 135-150 for a round, but that includes lunch, snacks, the practice tee, and god forbid - mango scented towels on the course. I might rethink that one. 


It was a fun place to play. The par threes are all memorable. The par five are not two shot greens for most of us. The par fours are the heart of the course however. The address is nominally Sylacauga but it seems more like 10 minutes outside of Childersburg. You get rewarded for good shots, but expect to pay for the really bad ones. It was my first time on the course and I enjoyed it immensely. At that cost it won't be but a once a year trip for me.


The Best Courses in the State...


     We all have our favorite courses. That doesn't make them good tracks however.  In no particular order I think the best courses in our State are Pine Tree, Kiva Dunes, RTJ in Gadsden, Goose Pond Colony, Limestone Springs, the Wharf, the Senator, and Cambrian Ridge.  Courses I think are overrated are Ross Bridge, and those two horrible rock pits in Oxmoor Valley, and a few more come to mind. I generally find the RTJ courses overrated although two nines, one in Gadsden and one in Greenville are great nines. 


What are your favorite courses?


     Be sure to post your favorites. I'm always looking for new places to play. I've always thought it would be nice if Rodney had a TiderInsider Golf Tour. Combine a little golf with a little recruiting. If you like that idea let's let the world's best recruiting guru know. On the 18th I have a tee time and then I think I'll drop by Butler High School to catch a little of the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment