Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Well, excuse me...

The response to my last blog was about 3 to 1 in favor of what I wrote. Some of the readers think Lacey is playing Alabama, which is what I think. Or because of the overly sensitive readers perhaps Trevor wants to tell Coach Grant and the friends goodbye.  I've been told by a sports writer that I need to proof read. He is correct. When I was a junior at Birmingham-Southern I learned that my poor reading skills were caused by dyslexia. I'm still that way. I have my own way of reading things. It's kind of like my own little private language. It does from time to time cause me problems, and I know you guys have to put up with it, or not.

When someone writes me and tells me he "covers sports in Huntsville" my legal mind, unencumbered by my disability, tells me it probably isn't true. See, if he was a real sportswriter he would send me an email and say - Bill you need to proof read your work, and I think your article about Lacey was a bit harsh. Besides, a real sports writer doesn't give a tinker's damn about what a non-professional blogger writes. If he does I hope he doesn't tell his publisher he's doing research.

Trevor Lacey might be the an absolutely wonderful human being. He probably is just that, but the manner in which is recruiting is being handled isn't good.  It is likely he's very good kid who is getting attention and  is eating it up. That's not necessarily a character flaw. I went over my Lacey article and it might be a bit harsh. To those whose sensibilities are such they were offended I'm sorry. I guess I could have written an article about a continuing struggle to get eligible, and things like that. By the way I don't know if it is true or not. So he could have a 4.0 and made 30 on his ACT Test.  I've always shied away from that because it just doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do. It's kinda like calling a kid either lazy or stupid. It could imply a bad attitude toward responsibility. It could imply a lot of bad things, but generally it is probably a kid just being a kid and not having been pushed to understand how important getting an education is to most people Trevor Lacey is not most people. He is a five star rated basketball prospect who has thousands of little kids looking up to him and thinking the way he acts is super cool.

Too cool for school so to speak. Trevor if what I wrote offended you please accept my most sincere apology. It must be super cool to have basketball coaches banging on your door. I personally hope what was written about you is wrong. I hope you are not a prima donna. If you go to Kansas I've watch you play. If you go to Kentucky I'll get to see you play. I would have been disappointed if you went to UConn because everyone who keeps up with basketball recruiting knows what Calhoun does to get some players, and people will aways wonder why you went up there. Trevor, if you go to Auburn you are not as smart as I thought. Auburn is the grave yard of  coaches and players. But every school has an exception and at Auburn his name is Charles Barkley. This old man thinks Barkley is really cool now that he no longer spits on people

Here's how I see it for anyone who is in your position:

1. Alabama and Auburn are in state schools and your fans would love to see you play all the time. I bet your family would rather drive to Tuscaloosa than Conn. Or Kansas. Lexington is a long way but that's doable for most people.

2. How could you not consider two of the most storied programs in college basketball history? Because of Calhoun you will never get me to elevate them to Big Blue and Rock Chalk however.

3.  You go to Alabama and might become the best player Alabama has ever had. Assuming you are that good. People will always know you, will always remember you, and you could be a key part in making Alabama something very special. Alabama fans are loyal. Fans remember every player who every stepped on the Court for the Tide. Bama has fans who weren't even alive when Leon Douglas and Charles Cleveland  played at Alabama yet know who they are? Do you know who Cotton Nash played for and what he did in college? Do you know who Phogg Allen was in Kansas history? If you went to Kansas this weekend you probably do now.

4. You go to Auburn and you'll have a couple of thousand people watching you play and commenting what a good corner-back you'd make. Don't go to Auburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment